Sirah: Its Intellectual and Religious Significance
- It is mentioned both in Qurān as well as in Ḥadīth that Prophet Muḥammad (SAW) is the last Messenger sent by Allah to this world. And he is an ideal role model for the entire humanity in every facet of life. The Qurān says:
(Sūrah Al-Aḥzāb, 33: 21) .لَقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُوْلِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِّمَنْ كَانَ يَرْجُوْا اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيْراً
“Certainly you have in the Messenger of Allah an excellent exemplar for him who hopes for Allah and the Latter Day, and remembers Allah much.”
In another place, Qurān says that Prophet Muḥammad (SAW) is the mercy of Allah to the entire world:
(Sūrah Al-Anbiyyā’, 21:107) .وَمَآ اَرْسَلْنَاكَ اِلاَّ رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِيْنَ
These verses (آيات) of the Qurān show that Prophet Muḥammad (SAW) is the perfect model in the entire world for humanity in every aspect of life. He was not only a great person of his (SAW) own era but the most remarkable personality of all time, for people of all races, colors, and gender. Therefore, it is essential to study and understand each and every aspect of the Sīrah of Prophet Muḥammad (SAW) so that we may follow him and know the objective of his teachings.
- Muslims love him from the inner core of their hearts and respect him very much. And, it is the fact that when a person loves someone, then he/she wants to be acquainted with him. In the same way, when someone claims to love Prophet Muḥammad (SAW), then it is necessary for him to know the basics related to him, his teachings, and his blessed life.
- Sīrah plays a significant role in explaining the meanings of the Holy Qurān; therefore, to understand its meaning exactly, it is essential to study and be aware of the Sīrah of Prophet Muḥammad (SAW) precisely. It explains the reasons behind every revelation that is revealed from Allah to His beloved Prophet, Muḥammad (SAW).
- The study of Sīrah incites the power of faith (الإيمان) in a person. It makes us stronger to fight against falsehood and tyranny. It teaches us how we should face and respond to the wrong forces and live a life according to the will of Allah.
- The things which are prohibited and which are not prohibited in Islām, and became prohibited at a later time during the life era of Prophet Muḥammad (SAW). All these things can be known and understood after analyzing his Sīrah.
- The study of this subject is important not only for Muslims but for the entire humanity. It is essential for religious or Islamic purposes as well as literary, moral, and cultural purposes.
- From the beginning of the emergence of Muḥammad’s (SAW) Prophethood, Islām and its Prophet (SAW) faced extreme opposition from their enemies. During the course of time, numerous books have been written against Islām and its Prophet (SAW), particularly by Christian Missionaries and Orientalist writers. Therefore, there is a need to give a strong response to the enemies of Islām and Prophet Muḥammad (SAW), who alleged his personality and created misconceptions. Consequently, to defend the honor and dignity of Islām and its Messenger (SAW) from their enemies, it is imperative that we read and understand the Sīrah of Prophet Muḥammad (SAW).